Friday, November 4, 2011

So many stories...


I've been spending a lot of my time writing a Remembrance Day article for journalism class. I interviewed a sergeant corporal who joined the army when he was 19 years old (he's in his 40's now). I thought since he is a high-ranking officer, he would want to talk most about what he's seen and all of his accomplishments. Instead our conversation focused on his son who followed in his footsteps and joined the army when he was 18 years old (just a few years ago).

The hardest part for me has been trying to focus my article. There are so many stories within this story. Based on how my article is shaping up, I'll be sticking with the father-son theme, but what about the wife and mother story? I can't imagine what she goes through when both of the men in her life are overseas. It reminded me that Remembrance Day is about paying tribute to the families of soldiers as well. I've decided to ask her for an interview, too... I'm interested in what she has to say about her life and the other side of military life. So many stories, so little time.

2 comments:

  1. The opposite problem from the one I'm having! But that's awesome though. There are so many interesting stories around us, I find (including but not limited to soldiers).

    I'm excited to interview more people as we keep learning about how best to tell their stories. Good luck figuring it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always better to have more than you need than not enough. It sounds like it's going to be an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete