Friday, November 11, 2011

Remembrance Day road trip...


I just got back from attending a Remembrance Day ceremony in Arborg, Manitoba (about an hour north of Winnipeg). I'm back a little later than expected (it was a full day) but am glad I had the chance to go to a ceremony outside of the city. The sense of community in the small town was amazing -- unlike any service I have ever attended before.  


Image from http://goo.gl/aoYjG
Six WWII veterans still live in the town and they were all in attendance today. My great-uncle was from Arborg and his picture is mounted on the wall of the legion there. He died in World War II at the age of 22. He is buried in Berlin and no one from my family has ever been to his gravesite.

Today during the service a retired RCMP officer gave a presentation about his travels to Europe. On his latest trip he visited many military cemeteries and had prepared a slide show with some pictures for today's special occasion.

Photo by Glenn Syme
One of the very first pictures he showed was a picture of my great-uncle’s gravestone. No one in my family has ever been to see it and it came as a shock to see his name etched in stone.


Photo by Glenn Syme


Photo by Glenn Syme
Needless to say, it was a Remembrance Day I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment