Friday, February 24, 2012

The Business of Mickey


I’ve had a little time to unwind over reading week and was lucky enough to spend a day at Disney World.

I’ve been to the world famous amusement park before, but this past week was the first time I’ve visited the Magic Kingdom since starting Creative Communications. This time around my eye was drawn to the branding of the world famous park.

First off, I can’t wrap my mind around the sheer scale of the Disney company. From the products (Mickey ice cream, bottle toppers, towels, clothes, hats, umbrellas, playing cards…) to the advertisements and slogans (“Let the memories begin”, “Where dreams come true”, “The happiest place on earth”)… It’s mind-boggling. And very well organized.

As fun as the attractions are, I couldn’t stop thinking about what goes on behind the scenes. Disney World is like a series of cities, each with its own hotels and even a monorail…

I was more preoccupied with trying to figure out how the business of Disney operates than riding Splash Mountain.

Does anybody know of any behind-the-scenes documentaries about this behemoth of a company?....

No comments:

Post a Comment