Sunday, September 11, 2011

24 hours is plenty tonight...


Hi all,

So I've got to admit, I'm not too sure how my blog is going to evolve in terms of writing about what I would do with an extra four hours a day (a 28-hour day). But I guess in order for it to evolve, I've got to start somewhere and just write...

But at this moment, the last thing on my mind is what I would do with a 28-hour day.

Today was a busy day. I got up early to finish a project due tomorrow morning, I did my best to catch up on the news and plan out the week ahead, all while trying to spend as much time as possible with my daughter because during the week I'm at school (there will be a post about mommy guilt eventually, mark my words).

After putting my little girl down to sleep this evening, I walked past the TV. A documentary entitled 9/11 was just beginning and for the next hour, I could not take my eyes off the screen.

The film is about two French filmmakers (brothers) who were in NYC in 2001 shooting a documentary about firefighters. Their cameras were rolling on September 11 as they captured all of the horrific events that occurred that day, including footage taken inside the World Trade Center (they were with the firefighters who were first on the scene).

At one point one of the brothers is trying to make his way back to the scene and a police officer tells him to put the camera down because "this isn't Disney World." It must have seemed so trivial to see a man so preoccupied with filming when all hell was breaking loose, but I'm glad he did keep filming, glad that other people documented that day, too.

Ten years. So hard to believe. Earlier this week my eyes welled up with tears while listening to a documentary on CBC radio about a girl who was 12 years old on September 11, 2001. Her school was two blocks from the World Trade Center. Hearing her talk (now ten years later) about what she and so many other children experienced was.... I can't describe it. Shocking, heartbreaking...

All of this while bombs continue to explode in other parts of the world every day and while millions are starving in Africa.

So, as I said, tonight I'm not going to give myself a hard time about not finishing everything I wanted to get done today. I'm not going to wish for four more hours.

Tonight I'm thankful for being here, thankful my family is here.

Tonight, 24 hours are more than enough.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure my extra 4 hours - on any given day - would be spent with my little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not yet sure what the blogging etiquette is.... but thanks for the comments -- come back again soon!

    ReplyDelete